How To Become A successful Freelancer In Digital Marketing
Freelancer is the one who is self-employed and provides his/her services to multiple businesses at the same time. To become a successful Freelancer in Digital Marketing, one should have a clear understanding of the concept related to this field what are the strategies and tactics that can be used, and when to apply them. As Digital Marketing plays an important role for businesses, you have to be very careful while creating any strategy for running someone’s campaign or while working for someone.
In order to showcase your knowledge, one should first create his/her own website. Run some campaigns and invest some money to know how Google Ad Words work and how to generate a report. This will help you to gain the trust of your clients that their money will not be at risk when you will showcase your projects.
In Digital Marketing, the importance of Social Media for business growth stays on top as it helps in promoting an organization or business to promote their services or products over the internet via an electronic medium. Once you had experience in Digital Marketing, you can be a full-time digital marketing employee as well as a freelancer without giving up your job. Content writing, copy-writing to social media, SEO, creating Ads, and strategies building along with designing include in being a freelancer in digital marketing. Career opportunities in Digital Marketing is endless.
Now there are some benefits as well as negative points of working as Freelancer in Digital Marketing. No matter where you live, you can work from anywhere in the world. You can work at per your convenience and can save the time of traveling. You can choose which project you want to work on or which client you want to work with, depending upon the amount to be paid at the end.
Whereas on the other hand, like a full-time employee, you will not get the fixed salary at the month-end as well as no other employee benefits like PF, group insurance given by any organization, medical coverage etc. Being a freelancer, you have to manage each and every single thing like accounting, content writing, designing and analytics as mentioned above as well.
A freelancer should keep certain things in mind before picking up any project from the client:
1. Set Expectation: Before picking up the project, you should communicate clearly about the timeline. How much time the project will take or how much time you need to do any modifications after completing certain portions of the projects.
2. Make A Contract: At the initial stage of your freelancer career, you need to work on a low payout in order to get visible in the market. Once you get enough projects, and visible, you can raise your expectation thereafter.
Before finalizing any project, make a contract with your client in which the payment methods are clearly mentioned. For example, 50% in advance and then monthly breakdown of 30% and 20% remaining amount to be paid when the project is completed. Rest it depends on how you negotiate.
3. Pick your Area of Interest: One can become an expert only when he picks up the area of his/her interest and the same is applicable in digital marketing while working as a freelancer. Work only on the part where you are confident enough to take care of things. For example, if you are an expert in providing SEO services but not in Ad Words, do not accept any project which has Ad Words.
4. Showcase your work: Once you are done with your website or any other work which you have done on the personal level (no clients were involved), use that work to showcase your skills to the clients to get more business. The more work you showcase, the more business you attract.
5. Have a Backup Plan: Effectively focusing your energy in several different areas means it’s easier to ensure you have some way of making hay while your other field lays fallow. You need to make sure that if your plan A is working quietly then you should push plan B so that your work can be completed within the time-frame.
Types of Freelancer: Digital Marketing Jobs for fresher are easily available but still if you haven’t received any opportunity, you can start your career in freelancing. There are many types of freelancers in Digital Marketing:
- SEO Specialist
- PPC Specialist
- Facebook Ad Management
- Google AdWords
- Affiliate Marketer
- Content Writer
- Media Buyer
- Business to Business or B2B Demand Specialist and many more.
Tools that can a Freelance use: Talking about the tools that are being used in Digital Marketing is numerous. But when you are discussing about these tools with your clients, you need to make sure that you have detailed knowledge.
For Example, Canva.com, this tool is used to create a Resume, Letter Head, Business Card, Logos, etc. G-Mass and Mail Chimp are another example to send bulk emails for your campaigns. Biteable, Renderforest, Wondershare, Filmora are the best examples for creating and editing videos related to the products or services for the clients.
Connect with other Freelancers: You should contact another freelancer who is into digital marketing as one should always take the opportunity to learn from others. You can learn their tips and tricks for the businesses they are working with and it will help you out in serving your own clients and in this way, you can improve your skills and can grow your business and make it visible.
There are many agencies these days which are connecting with freelancer. One should prepare a list where you can connect with those agencies. Apart from these agencies, there are other companies which are dealing in digital marketing services like education institutes, clothing, etc.
Since 2004, the social web has developed more than expected and there are now millions of data generated just from these platforms. If you are working for your friend or family business where you cannot charge for your services, do make sure for the feedback. Ask them to write Feedback on your website as well as take the Video Testimonials appreciating your work and efforts so that whenever you are presenting yourself to a business or organization for picking up a project.
India has become the second-largest freelance workforce after the United States with over 15 million people who are working independently in various sectors , for example IT, Finance, Marketing, Animation, etc.
Once you started your career as a Freelancer, you have to be fully dedicated to your projects in order to deliver the results for your clients within the given time-frame. No clients want any kind of excuse given by you for not completing the project on time.
As Digital Marketing is the only industry where the work requirement never ends, companies as well as agencies these days are hiring freelancer to finish up the required job. Freelancers these days not only deal in Digital Marketing, but are now into IT Industry, Finance, and Animation etc. During the recession as well, Digital Marketing was the only industry which did not lay off their employees. Every small scale and large scale businesses are now dealing in digital marketing. This opportunity creates to start your career in Digital Marketing Freelancer.